Minds Eye


 east west spring fall / oil on 8 canvas' / Astrid Preston

The landscape of the minds eye. The idea of one what person sees in an image, a print, a pattern, art. It was just that concept that somehow rolled around in my thoughts... not quite a finalized idea, but something there ...awaiting a conclusion of some kind.

It has been nearly a month since I was introduced to Astrid Preston at Craig Krull Gallery in Bergamot Station. Sweet friends and I took a jaunt over for a look and for a hello to the kind and so very talented Kelly, who works at the gallery.

I recognized Preston's path. That in these gorgeous landscapes she asked us to look closer, look deeper, see past the flora, the foliage and into the abstraction, the emptiness past all the fullness. The contradiction between empty and full. The lush... and the simultaneous bare. The outside versus the inside. The book versus its cover. The beautiful polarity.

And while I thought through Astrid's art, the telling of her minds eye, my thoughts, my eye, went immediately to the beauty of the pattern, the flora, the color. I imagined the patterns repeated across a larger landscape and where a flower and a branch might be cut and sewn, designed and made into something beautiful. I imagined 'east west spring fall' and 'wild spring' transformed into fabric and beautifully crafted, draped about a robe, a tunic. Beauty to live in. 

Grateful for the minds eye. And talent and inspiration such as Astrid Preston.

 woven memories / oil on linen / Astrid Preston



wild spring / oil on linen / Astrid Preston

4 comments:

Ms. Paisley said...

they look like the background in the first of the window shots:) you must have a fetish right now... gorgeous

Kellie Collis said...

These are gorgeous! I'm loving the last piece! Enjoy a glorious day, Kellie xx

The Zhush said...

These are stunning!

Anonymous said...

hello there thanks for your grat post, as usual ((o:

 
Pin It button on image hover